Tel: [restrict userlevel=”editor”]+44 20 8390 1028 (home) / [/restrict]+44 7752 198613 (mobile)
Online portfolio & showreel: https://www.tbaker.org
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/timbakervideomotiongraphics
- Creative visual animator, can create and develop new visual processes and effects
- Has done single-handed videographer photographic roles so fine with lighting concepts and the practicalities of a shoot
- Trained video editor with specialism in music video and fast-editing, editing to a tempo, VJing
- Animating and editing originally on tape and film before University, with 15 years commercial editing, animation for online sites and advertising, animation, Digital Out of Home (DOOH) panels, projections, online & offline video and sound design in a variety of industries including film, entertainment, financial, consulting and property
- Expert longterm knowledge of Adobe After Effects CC inc Cinema 4D, Adobe Premiere Pro CC & CS5.5, Adobe Photoshop CC (since v2), Adobe Flash/Animate CC. Good working knowledge of Flash coding (AS2 & AS3), DaVinci Resolve, AVID Media Composer 6 (Certified User – MC-101 course) and VDMX.
- Expert in various web animation and online video and audio streaming, such as JQuery and Greensock GSAP, CSS (1-3), HTML5 animation in Adobe Edge Animate CC and Google Web Designer, Liquidsoap, AirTime, Icecast, working with social media, apps, OpenGraph etc.
- Expert with Linux and OSX platforms, including terminal/admin level, and comfortable with Windows systems
Freelance, 2004 – current
I work in motion graphics, video editing, design and animation for online promotion, advertising and pitch work, mainly in the retail and film and theatre sector. Most recently I’ve been working with Venn Recruitment at MailAdvertising doing After Effects CC work for an major brand pitch which they won using my work. This meant turning around a 4:30 video in a few days, initially working from a bare script without voiceover and using stock assets and adapting them in Illustrator and Photoshop to brand. I was building it as much as possible in an adaptable ‘Agile’ way to allow for later script changes.
I’ve also been supplementing my freelance with working on independent film productions, editing in Premiere Pro and grading in Resolve, and working with friends on video edit and animation projects for online promotion and mobile apps. More details in the Personal Work section below, or you can see examples of all of these on my online portfolio https://www.tbaker.org.
A selected range of video and animation projects:
- AKA – Matilda the Musical (animation and video production/pitch work), Shrek the Musical – ditto, Olivier Awards MTP (tube projection) digital panels and awards projections, London Live – website and email concept & design, La Soiree/La Clique digital panels, Doctor Who, Clyborne Park, RSC, Dirty Dancing, Jersey Boys, Batman, Legally Blonde, Apassionata, Almeida, Billy Eliott, Jack and the Beanstalk, designs for the agency website
- Feref – GI Joe (digital panels for Piccadilly lites), Universal, Paramount, WB and Sony inc Inception, Despicable Me (After Effects, sync panels) Monsters vs Aliens (1st UK bulldozer), Centre Parcs, Princess and the Frog, Boat That Rocked, Deathrace, How To Lose Friends and Alienate People, Prince Caspian, Hellboy II, Highschool Musical 3 and Hannah Montana campaigns
- BBC Worldwide (Out of This World stings in After Effects and sound production, Eastenders and generic YouTube stings – ditto, Sherlock teaser minisite/email design and build inc Flash video, Luther – ditto, Outcasts – ditto, Human Planet minisite design, Barbarians, The Deep minisite design and build, Misfits Flash interactive quiz design, Come Fly With Me)
- Framestore (L’ Oreal After Effects digital panels for Westfield, Sony Computer Entertainment interactive banners, Ask Jeeves, VISA After Effects animation)
- Libertine (Artemis motion graphics work – motion comics working from flat images, Superdrug AE work, Butlins, Gartmore/Henderson, Ignis)
- The Farm – Nando’s After Effects animationWaste (Super Monkey Ball 3D, video edit and rich ads)
- Microchunk – Snowbombing (VJ creation of loops, animation)
- Brand And Deliver – Samsung (video presentation, edit and animation), Catlin Graduate video (titling and animation)
- Gravity (FIFA, AGA Investec)
- TEA – The Unborn banners and takeovers, design
- The Bank (After Effects work for Coutts and others, rotoscoping for Nokia)
- NCALT – Premiere Pro editing, video (JVC ProHDV camera) and still photography (Nikon D70) shoots for eLearning flash modules – interview Chief Constables, police staff, and shooting establishing/location footage.
- UBS working with Premiere Pro and After Effects – editing, keying, animation, superimposition
Senior Interactive Designer, PA Consulting, London July 2000 – Feb 2004
I left PA in February 2004, but I worked as a senior designer in the new media and web department at PA Consulting for 4 and a half years. During my time at PA my role broadened from purely web design into videography, animation, 3D, video editing and production.
Motion work at PA Consulting
In the last couple of years at PA I was increasingly involved in single-handed videography, editing, lighting, animation and video production, mostly for corporate training, presentations and demo reels for conferences, working with the likes of British Telecom, 3GSM in Cannes, AMV BBDO, Seymour Powell and St Lukes. This involved taking video projects from concept, storyboarding, direction, camerawork and DV shoot on Canon XL1, through to production, edit and post production. Here’s one example:
BT Marketing: Created three 20 minute training videos for British Telecom, interviewing creatives at Seymour Powell, St Lukes and AMVBBDO. Shown to 4,000 people as part of marketing workshops, and then a re-edited 15 minute version with a new intro for promotional purposes. You can see Part 1 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0om1gSSZNA and Part 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S355YuOY6d0.
Web Designer, LOOT.Com, May 2000 – July 2000
Working for 3 months on the LOOT website. After 3 months was headhunted by PA to come back in a greater role, extended to working on client work and external work as well as the PA website.
New Media Designer, PA Consulting, August 1999 – April 2000
My first period at PA I worked specifically on the PA website and other sites. One example is the site for Sundridge Park which was also an early use of 3D-Flash in the Floorplan guide section https://www.tbaker.org/demo/sundridge/meetingrooms.html, and concept, low-poly modeling in 3DS Max, design and build including Flash/HTML.
Sheffield Hallam University – BA (Hons) Fine Art (Combined and Media) – 1992-1995
Foundation in Art and Design, Chelsea College of Art 1991
Godalming College, Surrey – ‘A’ levels in Art, Design Technology, English & German A/S
Woolmer Hill School, Haslemere, Surrey – 8 G.C.S.Es including English, Maths, Art & Computer Studies
Training courses in AVID Media Composer (MC 101 Certified User) Advanced 3DS Max, Advanced Flash 5, Director 7, and Evening courses in Photography (C&G 6923 NVQ Level 2 – Distinction/Merit), Studio Portraiture at Central St Martins, Silkscreen printing and Intermediate C++
I’ve been creating mashup videos and video podcasts since 2005, showcasing my skills and using After Effects and Premiere – you can find these at https://vimeo.com/user1486621 and https://www.youtube.com/user/timbearcub – for instance my video for DJ Earworm’s Reckoner Lockdown has 350,000 views! My videos such as Welcome Back using film, music videos, After Effects and Premiere have also been shown at Glastonbury as part of The Kleptones live show and my video for djBC during Young Punx’s live gigs.
I was also asked to do a video to promote the E-Jitz cover of PWEI’s Def Con One which was released on 10″ vinyl and both song and video got thumbs up by the former bandmembers of Pop Will Eat Itself. I wanted to create an 1980’s video art feel, and thus manually glitched some of the video via a rescued VHS, a mix of new and old technology, B-Frame glitching and magnetic tape. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfBvT9cEKSQ.
I also used glitching for the Petula Clark – Cut Copy Me video I did, using VDMX and Quartz glitch plugins, recorded live using Syphon and wrote After Effects expressions to create an ASCII art effect. This was initially produced for my VJ sets but I was approached by an agency last year about working on a tour video for one of the world’s biggest bands because they liked this video. Can’t say who (I signed a NDA!) but it was great confidence boost. Video is here: https://vimeo.com/59339070.
Personal websites / Social media
As well as running several blogs, I’m heavily involved with social media, from being one of the UK’s first podcasters, to video podcasting, Twitter, Facebook, and I produce video, photo and audio content for those. I also have a Bandcamp site http://realityengine.co.uk/ for my music, and I create mashups https://www.mutantpop.net/artists/ and remixes, as I’ve been active as a VJ and DJ in the past, and I still post regular long mixes on Radio Clash.
References available on request.