Tel: [restrict userlevel=”editor”]+44 20 8390 1028 (home) / [/restrict]+44 7752 198613 (mobile)
Online portfolio & showreel: https://www.tbaker.org
Linked In Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/timbakervideomotiongraphics
- Creative visual designer, trained Fine Artist, have worked in all media from paper to screen and tshirt/fabric
- Work from a brief but also take a creative lead, from sketches and brainstorming through to evolving or building existing brands and design
- Over 19 years commercial design, editing, animation and development experience with online sites and advertising, animation, Digital Out of Home (DOOH/DOOP) panels, projections, online & offline video and sound design in a variety of industries including film, entertainment, financial, consulting and property
- Expert longterm knowledge of Adobe Photoshop CC (since v2), Adobe Animate CC / Flash, Adobe Illustrator CS5, Adobe After Effects CC inc Cinema 4D, Adobe Premiere Pro CC & CS5.5. Good working knowledge of Animate CC/Flash coding (AS2 & AS3), Sketch, Fireworks, Dreamweaver (but usually handcode), DaVinci Resolve, AVID Media Composer 6 (Certified User – MC-101 course), VDMX, DJ and sound tools.
- Expert in various web technologies, WordPress inc training and design/build, HTML4/5 inc some JQuery and Greensock GSAP, CSS (1-3), HTML5 animation in Adobe Edge Animate CC and Google Web Designer, Google Web Fonts & Analytics/Google Search Console, Liquidsoap, some PHP and Python (all handcoded, no IDEs), AirTime, Icecast, VPN/SSH/Linux server admin, working with social media, apps, encryption, OpenGraph etc. Although I’ve specialised on online and new media design and animation, I have some print knowledge with Illustrator creating posters, brochures, infographics and tshirt work, and a history of training and use of DTP like Quark, Pagemaker, Pagestream, and have knowledge of InDesign.
- Expert with Linux and OSX platforms, including terminal/admin/server level, and comfortable with Windows systems
Freelance, 2004 – current
I work in digital design, mainly in the retail and film and theatre sector. Most of my work is design, build and animation for online such as promotion, advertising and pitch work. Most recently I’ve been working with Venn Recruitment at MailAdvertising doing After Effects CC work for an major brand pitch which they won using my work. This meant turning around a 4:30 video in a few days, initially working from a bare script without voiceover and using stock assets and adapting them in Illustrator and Photoshop to brand. I was building it as much as possible in an adaptable ‘Agile’ way to allow for later script changes.
I’ve also been supplementing my freelance with working on independent film productions and working with friends to design projects for online promotion and mobile apps. Examples of these are the motion comics and ident work I did for Subversive for Bearlands and the E-Jitz video for a 10 inch vinyl release, and VJ work for Kleptonite (with Butch Auntie, Kleptones and others). More details in the Personal Work section below, or you can see examples of all of these on my online portfolio https://www.tbaker.org.
- AKA – Matilda the Musical (animation and video production), Shrek the Musical – ditto, Olivier Awards MTP (tube projection) digital panels and awards projections, London Live – website and email concept & design, La Soiree/La Clique digital panels, Doctor Who, Clyborne Park, RSC, Dirty Dancing, Jersey Boys, Batman, Legally Blonde, Apassionata, Almeida, Billy Eliott, Jack and the Beanstalk, designs for the agency website
- Zoho – Re:Cognition (WordPress site build, themes, development, redesign)
- Wordsearch – Website build for 2 Park Avenue and Saltire Court inc JQuery, PHP and Animate CC
- Feref – GI Joe (digital panels for Piccadilly lites), Universal, Paramount, WB and Sony inc Inception, Despicable Me (After Effects, sync panels) Monsters vs Aliens (1st UK bulldozer), Centre Parcs, Princess and the Frog, Boat That Rocked, Deathrace, How To Lose Friends and Alienate People, Prince Caspian, Hellboy II, Highschool Musical 3 and Hannah Montana campaigns
- Tidalwave (WebTrends site design)
- BBC Worldwide (Out of This World animations in After Effects with sound production, Eastenders and generic YouTube animations – ditto, Sherlock teaser minisite/email design and build inc Animate CC video, Luther – ditto, Outcasts – ditto, Human Planet minisite design, Barbarians, The Deep minisite design and build, Misfits interactive quiz design, Come Fly With Me)
- LIDA (London Elects, Open University)
- Framestore (L’ Oreal digital panels for Westfield, Sony Computer Entertainment interactive banners, Ask Jeeves, VISA animation)
- Libertine (Artemis motion graphics, Superdrug AE work, Butlins, Gartmore/Henderson, Ignis)
- Bleach – Bishop’s Place website design
- The Farm – Nando’s After Effects animationWaste (Super Monkey Ball 3D, video edit and rich ads)
- Gravity (FIFA, AGA Investec)
- clickTAG – AMD interactive game banners
- TEA – The Unborn banners and takeovers, design
- Universal – design concepts for their intranet
- Football Association – Animate CC banner design
- small back room (BP interactive banners)
- McCann Erickson (Nescafe)
- Burrows working on Ford and Volvo Animate CC microsites and e-Brochures
Senior Interactive Designer, PA Consulting, London July 2000 – Feb 2004
I left PA in February 2004, but I worked as a senior designer in the new media and web department at PA Consulting for 4 and a half years. During my time at PA my role broadened from purely web design into new media, 3D, video, development, strategy, QA and information architecture.
Motion work at PA Consulting
In the last couple of years at PA I was increasingly involved in video production, mostly for corporate training, presentations and demo reels for conferences, working with the likes of British Telecom, 3GSM in Cannes, AMV BBDO, Seymour Powell and St Lukes. This involved taking video projects from concept, storyboarding, direction, camerawork and DV shoot, through to production, edit and post production. Here’s one example for BT Marketing, you can see Part 1 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0om1gSSZNA and Part 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S355YuOY6d0.
Web Designer, LOOT.Com, May 2000 – July 2000
Working for 3 months at the website of the listings paper LOOT. After 3 months was headhunted by PA to come back in a greater role, extended to working on client work and external work as well as the PA website.
New Media Designer, PA Consulting, August 1999 – April 2000
My first period at PA I worked specifically on the PA website and other sites. Examples of this type of work is a site for Sundridge Park which was also an early use of 3D-Flash in the Floorplan guide section https://www.tbaker.org/demo/sundridge/meetingrooms.html, and concept, 3D modeling, design and build including Flash/HTML
Sheffield Hallam University – BA (Hons) Fine Art (Combined and Media) – 1992-1995
Foundation in Art and Design, Chelsea College of Art 1991
Godalming College, Surrey – ‘A’ levels in Art, Design Technology, English & German A/S
Woolmer Hill School, Haslemere, Surrey – 8 G.C.S.Es including English, Maths, Art & Computer Studies
Training courses in AVID Media Composer (MC 101 Certified User) Advanced 3DS Max, Advanced Flash 5, Building XML applications, Essential Consulting Skills, Director 7, and Evening courses in Photography (C&G 6923 NVQ Level 2 – Distinction/Merit), Studio Portraiture at Central St Martins, Silkscreen printing and Intermediate C++
Personal websites / Social media
I run several music blogs / podcasts – Radio Clash https://www.radioclash.com/ and Digital Debris https://www.digitaldebris.org.uk/ which I’ve designed and built, as well as https://www.greenandsmart.org/ with content from a friend. I’m heavily involved with social media, from being one of the UK’s first podcasters, to video podcast, Twitter, Facebook, so produce a lot of video, photo and audio content for those. I’ve also started Walking The Wrong Way https://www.mutantpop.net/walk/ to showcase my walks, using geo-tagged blogs, GPX (GPS) tracks and mapping, my writing and photography.
I’ve been creating mashup videos and video podcasts since 2005, showcasing my skills and using After Effects and Premiere – you can find these at https://vimeo.com/user1486621 and https://www.youtube.com/user/timbearcub – for instance my video for DJ Earworm’s Reckoner Lockdown is now over the 350,000 view mark! My videos such as Welcome Back using film, music videos, After Effects and Premiere have also been shown at Glastonbury as part of The Kleptones live show and my video for djBC during Young Punx’s live gigs.
I also used glitching for the Petula Clark – Cut Copy Me video I did, using VDMX and Quartz glitch plugins. This was initially produced for my own VJ sets but I was approached by an agency last year about working on a tour video for one of the world’s biggest bands because they liked this video. Can’t say who (I signed a NDA!) but it was great confidence boost. Video is here: https://vimeo.com/59339070.
Other creative hobbies include dying and fabric arts (creating my own canvas shoe designs), photography, recording original music and covers. I have sometimes used my music and audio production skills in my commercial work, usually working in Ableton Live!, REAPER, Traktor Scratch Pro and previously in Sony Acid and VirtualDJ. I have a Bandcamp site http://realityengine.co.uk/ for my music, and I create mashups https://www.mutantpop.net/artists/ and remixes, as I’ve been active as a VJ and DJ in the past, and I still post regular long mixes on Radio Clash.
References available on request.